Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Be careful what you wish for

I asked someone to read some pages of MINDER and give me honest feedback.

Yes, I need the honest feedback. It makes the book better. If you're reading this, June, thank you for your feedback.

I'll get right on fixing the problems as soon as I stop rocking and sucking my thumb.

A big part of me honestly wants people to gush embarrassingly and proclaim me the next Rowling or Meyer. Rave reviews are completely unhelpful, but they make me feel better. As Mark Twain once said on my website (and probably somewhere else, too), "I can live for two months on a good compliment."

I actually respect the critics more, though. People who love my book as-is have too-low standards. At least find a typo or something! And it's kinda like what Groucho Marx used to say: that he'd never want to join a club that would have someone like him for a member.

Maybe I need more current references.

Oh, and something's wrong with the TiVo. I think the cat pulled a connector out of the back. However, a broken DVR is an emergency in the middle of a New Hampshire winter, so I hope someone will tell me how to call the National Guard or send up the Bat Signal or something. I'm normally techno-literate, but I have no idea how my husband set this the system up. And the kids will start setting fires or something if we miss "Dinosaur Train," a PBS show that is completely, factually accurate about dinosaurs.

Except for the part where they sing. And ride on trains.

If I were still in college, I'd definitely have a drinking game set up around that show.

I miss college.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

hmmm. I think my intelligence has just been insulted, b/c I think it's great. Send it back over, woman, I need to find a typo.

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks! Like I said, compliments make me feel great. Let's assume the typos are in chapter 3.

June G said...

You are so welcome. I know how you feel. I've done several revisions based on feedback and I always cringe a bit inwardly when it's not what I want to hear, but we have to roll with it and use it to our advantage. Still stings a bit though:-/