Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's

Every year, this holiday comes around and I feel torn between,

"Yay! I have someone! And that guy is a wonderful husband and father and puts up with my foul language when the car gets stuck in snowdrifts!  Where's my red sweater?" 

and the way I experienced Valentine's Day for many, many years, which was,

"Blech, I'll wear only black all day in protest of this stupid holiday that makes every 'single' person feel desperate and inadequate on some level."

Ironically, the people who need chocolate the most on this day are the ones least likely to receive a satin heart full of it. At least it'll all be on sale tomorrow.

There's a third group: who don't have someone but who are still hopeful or confident that they will have someone one day. Most little kids fall into this category; my kindergarteners have that excited thrill that comes before people realize that life will crush your soul before it kills you.

Let's designate them, oh, I don't know: pink. 

So post your feelings in the comments: are you RED, BLACK, or PINK this Valentine's Day?

On a fun note, check these "Scientific Valentines" out: http://www.ironicsans.com/2008/02/idea_scientist_valentines.html
Thanks to Suzanne for the link!

7 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

RED

Unknown said...

RED!

Vicki Rocho said...

Can I be red with black polka dots? I've got someone, love him to bits, but we just don't celebrate valentine's day.

Disgruntled Bear said...

I like that, Vicki!

Nicole said...

I've got red on, accidentally. I forgot this morning. But - I mean - yeah, Red for real. I have someone, but I don't really like the whole thing. We did nice cards and that was it.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha you HAVE to have the red sweater if you teach little kids. I know, because I am one of you. I teach first grade and the red sweater is a given. I don't think they let you in the building without it on V-Day.

Personally, I'm eh about the day. Love celebrating it with my class and my own two kiddies, but although I've been married to an amazing guy for 12 years and together for 16, I think the day is kinda stupid. We happened to have our first date on Feb 11, so we celebrate that instead - First Date Day. :)

Disgruntled Bear said...

First Date Day beats Valentine's Day, hands down.