Tuesday, January 17, 2012

ARISIA and the UNCONVENTIONAL Launch

Hi folks!

I haven't been posting with my regular frequency in the past few months, since I've been in the editing cave, catching up with all of the work from the fall that got pushed back by family health issues.

But now... I'm baaaack!

This past weekend included the launch events for UnCONventional, the first Spencer Hill Press anthology.


We had the first reading and the launch party at Arisia, which is kind of like having a birthday party in Times Square on New Year's Eve.

There was a cake...


The cake was all kinds of awesome, both beautiful and delicious.

There were authors, that intrepid band known as the UnCONtributors...

The UnCONtributors (left to right):
 Top: Kimberley Long-Ewing, Rich Storrs (ed.),  Kate Kaynak (me), Trisha Wooldridge (ed.), Anthony Francis
Ira Nayman, the most awesome use of fondant ever (the cake, not Ira), Pamela van Hylckama Vlieg, Marie Romero (ed.)
Front: Jennifer Allis Provost, Vikki Ciaffone, Melina Gunnett

The reading was the most fun and animated I've ever attended...

Gordon Dupuis, reading from "A Comic End."

And there was even a surprise* cameo at the party by the Green Fairy:

*The surprise was that she wandered into the party not knowing she'd had anything to do with the book.

The Green Fairy was at Arisia last year, and she was part of the inspiration for this book, since I began to wonder about her connection to the Green Room... and whether the whole event might just be a cover for something.

I'm still all a-giddy over how well this book has been received. Trish and I have been thrilled to work with such a talented collection of writers. It has been an all-around wonderful experience.

Oh, and please keep an eye out for the call for submissions for the next anthology: coming soon!

11 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

I ended up with the end of that iridescent blue tentacle on my piece of cake. I'm half-convinced it moved.

Lisa Rogers said...

Hey Kate glad you're back. The blogging world hasn't been the same without you. BTW UNCONVENTIONAL is awesome!!!

Unknown said...

That cake looks AMAZING. I wish I could have been there. UnCONventional is such a great collection of stories.

Keshia Swaim said...

I wish I could've made it. :( But tell me more about this new anthology...

Unknown said...

*Add UNCONVentional to TBR pile*

Looks like you had lots of fun! YAY and congrats! I can't wait to read this!!!

Emily White said...

Who did that cake?! It looks amazing!

I wish I could have been there. :( Oh well. It sounds like it was a great time! :)

Kelly Hashway said...

Looks like it was a successful launch with an amazing cake!

Dark Franny said...

Wish I could have been there!! You guys clearly had a lot of fun!! And that was the most awesome cake I've ever seen!! =D

Darby Karchut said...

I love the picture of all the beaming faces - what fun. And dang if I don't have to find me some cake for dinner! :-D

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks for the book-and-cake love, everyone!

Eliza Tilton said...

grats on the launch!